The aroma of the Kariveppu invokes the apetite. It is used in Ayurvedic and Unani medicines. It increases the digetive power of the body and fights against the poisons. It acts as an antiseptic also. The leaves with buttermilk eases the problems due to indigestion. It is a hair nourisher also. Its juice with honey is given as a medicine for worm diseases in children. The leaves are rich with Vitamin A. Add the juice to the kurukku(a special dish for small children). Every part of Kariveppu is rich with Amino acids and Alkaloids. It is used with turmeric as an external medicine for Allergy. 'Kariveppila Chammanthi' A preparation with grated coconut purifies the blood and speeds the digestion.
Names of Kariveppila in other languages
Ten home remedies with kariveppila
- Grind the leaves. Make this paste as a small ball and take it with hot water in early morning. Remedy for all the illness due to the increase in Cholestrol.
- Grind kariveppila and turmeric. This paste with hotwater is a remedy for Escema in foot. This medicine must take in the morning itself.
- Boil water with the leaves of Kariveppu. Drink this water on a regular basis will lessen your digestive problems.
- Grind Kariveppila with Turmeric. Excellant for fungal diseases.
- Digestive problems after eating meat-Grind Green ginger and Kariveppila. Add this paste into Buttermilk. Drink this mix.
- Loss of hair-Boil coconut oil with Kariveppila, Kattarvazha, Mylanji. Massage this oil into your scalp.
- For thick and black hair- Boil coconut oil with Kariveppila
- For cracking of the heels- Grind Turmeric and kariveppila. Apply this paste into the affected parts for 5 days.
- Louse and dandruff-Grind the nuts of Kariveppila and lime juice. Apply this into your scalp. Bath after half an hour.
- Skin diseases- Apply the paste of kariveppila on a regular basis
How to store curry leaves- Curry leaves must be fresh, to store curry leaves, after thorough washing put it inside a container and keep it in refrigeratior.
Botanical name: Murraya koenigii
Its a local plant so there must be some beliefs existing with this plant. 'Kariveppila pole' is a popular saying in Malayalam: even if we are using it in our Curries we will throw it away and most of the people do not eat them but they need their taste and aroma. Like this if people need one's income or effort and doesn't need them then we say they considered him as kariveppila.
According to my grandmother ladies must not touch the plant during their menstrul time. There may be more versions according to region anyway kariveppila is an indispensable part of our life.