Instead of aerated drinks we can give this to children with out any fear.
Butter milk soothes the intestines. Healthy batcteria in the butter milk boosts our immunity. It boost our digestion also.
How to prepare 'moru vellam'. 'Moru' or butter milk is 'thairu' or curd without 'Venna' or butter. When we separate butter from curd, add equal amount of water it become butter milk. In Kerala traditionally we make curd in Bharanis, a special type of vessal made of clay. Its a special taste for that 'moru' made in bharani. My grandmother used a special device known as 'mathu' or 'kadakol' to separate venna from thairu. It takes a lot of time to separate venna from curd. But that butter milk had an ethnic taste. Kadakol was made of wood now we will get its plastic version also.
- Boil milk with small amount of water
- After sufficient cooling add small quantity of curd into it.
- The next day you will get the curd
- Blend it with some more water and salt
- If you are so health conscious, you can remove the butter from it, then it will very light
- For elders we can have some seasoning to it
- Add some curry leaves(kariveppila)finely chopped , crushed ginger, some pieces of green chilly, pieces of shallots and a small amount of lime.
- You can season moru vellam as per your taste
- Some people add leaves of narakam
- Serve instantly
- You may use chilled water
- We can have it with proud because its an ethnic drink of India
In Kerala during festival season gatherings devotees supply 'moru vellam' to the people as a special offering to the diety. For this large scale preparation they add some chilly powder to it.
Other interesting links about 'moru vellam'. Images of drinks will hype our thirst..
- A detailed description of the preparation of 'Pacha moru'
- A wonderful picturisation of spicy butter milk
- One more morum vellam recipe from Hyderabad
- Morum vellam from Vazhayila
- Inji or ginger
- To see more images of Bharani....
- This link is for fast food people who are not patient to make a glass of sambharam. Milma is supplying sambharam, a note about the first experience about milma sambharam
- Butter milk in wikipedia
- Buttermilk nutrition facts
- Memory of summer vacation from Alexis Leon with a detailed description of a heavy moru vellam
- cooking up something nice about moru vellam